Wednesday, September 17, 2008

After work…

After coming home from work, I began doing stuff around the yard. The first thing I wanted to do was clean out the maple trees growing in the garage eve trough. Upon climbing on the roof, I noticed an inordinate amount of tree parts on the roof. Peering over the ridgeline, I spied a 2 inch branch jutting out of the roof! A few nights ago, we had quite the wind storm from remnants of Ike. We had heard a huge bang outside, but thought nothing of it. I realised while staring at the branch, that I was looking at the results of the bang. A hug rotted branch had broken from the next door neighbour's tree, crashed on our garage roof, left one piece impaled in the roof, and left two other toony size holes in the roof to boot. Rain had leaked into the garage, but thankfully not enough for me to notice. So I called the insurance guy. He says if I make the claim my insurance goes up cuz it’s no longer claim free. I said thanks but no thanks. I went on the roof and covered the holes with a tarp. I’ll get back to the story…

Months ago we had quite a hail storm. A month or so ago we called the insurance guy to see if our house needed fixing. Long story short, it ends up we need new shingles on the house roof. And the insurance covers it! Whoopee.

Back to my story… so I called the people who are putting the new roof on the house. “Are you also putting a new roof on the garage”, I asked, hoping this might be the answer to solving my holes-in-the-roof problem. “Nope”, they said. So I have a dilemma.

It just so happens my neighbour, Jack, walks by, and I tell him the story about the garage roof. We commiserate for a while and I determine that I’ll probably get the house-roof-repair-people to order me a few more bundles of shingles. Jack and I will put them on the garage on a Saturday morning.

That’s all…

No comments: