Sunday, August 24, 2014

Some random thoughts

The changes to the yard inch along.  Although there is still much planning to do, I'm beginning to prepare for change, and to change things that don't matter.

New patio stones beside the house.


The garden by the shed has been cleaned out and the weeds around the shed have been cleaned up.


These are my flower friends from Chatham, ready to be planted.



Writing is hard.  And it's hardest when the thoughts won't come.  I sit here in the family room and stare.  I notice a dove sitting on the peak of the roof of the house behind us.  And I thought of things that we're doing... things that moving maybe made us realize needed doing... or maybe it's just a way to somehow slow down and "feel" life a little.

We take time in the mornings to have a coffee and to visit, before the busy day starts.
We cry together when friends hurt.
We visit people on a week day.
People walk by the house and we chat.

 I think people need to find ways to settle, to taste what life is, to stop missing what flies by far too fast.

Last week we chatted about all of the things we wished to do around the house.  About the changes we wanted to make that would make a house a home.  And we wondered what had happened to the previous twenty and more years that we had spent planning and building.  And we questioned what those plans meant now that we've moved on and "left them behind".

The neat thing is that they were twenty and more years of planning.  Of building dreams and memories and being able to share those gifts with family and friends.  And I think that although memories can be bitter sweet, they are things that need hanging on to... to be reused perhaps.

The ramblings of an old fool...

No comments: